Saturday, October 6, 2012

Life and Limb for Motocross – My Recovery from Injuries

Love of the Sport

I love motocross and I live for the sport. I’ve joined a couple of amateur circuits in Melbourne, NSW, and Queensland within the last few years and it was awesome. However, I do intend to qualify to compete in the professional league some time in the future. Sadly, that dream may be put on hold. A couple of months ago, I was preparing for the MX Nationals (which was on Aug 19, 25, and 26). I was cruising along the track without any difficulty until a sudden, sharp, and stabbing pain raced through my left arm, causing it to jerk and clinch the front break. Next thing I knew, I was flying head-first into the ground.

 

 

One Thing Led to Another

I blacked out for two hours. I woke up in a hospital with a neck brace, a cast for my wrist and leg, and some bandages. It was a total nightmare for me, not because I wasn’t used to motorcycle injuries, but this was the most terrible set of injuries for me because I broke my leg and my arm. Doctors took an X-Ray on my left wrist and found out that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). I was bummed about CTS. It totally meant not being able to use my left arm for a while.

My List of Injuries

Thank God for my protective gears. If I hadn’t worn them, I could have acquired more injuries. So, after my complete diagnosis, my injuries include:

  • Fractured left shin
  • Fractured right wrist
  • Bruised lung and ribs
  • Concussion

The fractures were not so bad, given that they did not break through the skin, but it did give me a reason to go through physical therapy. I was lucky enough to find elevate.com.au because it helped me accommodate my medical needs.

3 Months in Recovery

I was fortunate enough to survive, and needless to say, I was few of the lucky ones. According to my therapist, it wasn’t their first time to accommodate motocross injury patients. Some of them were partially paralyzed from a broken spine while others suffered from various muscle tears and bone problems. My leg injury is painful, yet proper pain management is done during therapy. Doctors “jokingly” told me that I could no longer ride the bike again if my left leg doesn’t heal up. That was a freaky motivational speech or a very frightening idea.

To this day, I walk with a limp and a cane because the fracture has not healed completely yet. Doctors told me that full recovery is expected within the next 2 months and that I should continue with my physiotherapy sessions.

Source: http://www.emotocrossblog.com/life-and-limb-for-motocross-my-recovery-from-injuries/

Sylvain Geboers Mickael Maschio Cody Copper Willy Bauer

No comments:

Post a Comment