Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chad Reed comes to America - 2002 interview, by Rick Johnson

Chad Reed had just left racing the MX GP's in Europe to give it a go in America. Reading back on this early 2002 interview, little did anyone know that Chad would go on to win two AMA Supercross Series titles, an AMA National Motocross title, make hundreds of thousands of fans, start his own racing team, and more. A nostalgic and good read ...



At some time in our racing careers we have all had dreams of racing in America and becoming a champion. Through your efforts, many people are able to live out those aspirations. Win, loose or draw - you are a true champion! Thanks.

Good Luck mate!

Blair
Perth - Western Australia
-----------------

How about having an entire country watching your career? This sums up the phenomenon that is Chad Reed. I've admired him on the track, but I wanted to find out more about him.

RJ: Chad, how is it going for you in your first year of racing here in the States?

Chad: I think it's gone well. The first race (125 East in Indy) I won, although I didn't feel like I was 100% ready with riding the four-stroke. The week after (Minneapolis) was a much better ride for me. I got the holeshot, and won, and I consider that one of the best races I've ever done.

On the Wednesday before Minneapolis, I couldn't even walk because of a crash practicing earlier in the week. I wasn't quite sure if I was even going to race. As I rode, I got warm, and it felt better, so I decided to race. That night in Minnesota couldn't of been any better. I won my heat, and then I won the Main. I feel like I didn't make any mistakes in the Main, which is hard to do.

RJ: Tell me about the injury. What exactly did you hurt?

Chad: I had a crash on the Monday before Minneapolis. I landed on my lower back, and it messed up my groin and lower back. I was weak in that area, and it was quite painful. I have a trainer working with me named Jeff Spencer who really got me prepared to race that weekend.

RJ: I worked with Jeff. He's great, and a great motivator as well. Plus he has so much knowledge and experience. He's worked with us motocross guys, but he's also working with Lance Armstrong (Tour de France Champion).

Chad: Jeff's great. I work with him on a day to day basis. He knows how to treat various injuries and how far to go on training. When I went to his house and saw all the people he has worked with in the past .. it was impressive! Johnny O'Mara, David Bailey, Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods ... all the motocross guys .... the list goes on. He works with Lance and Tiger on a day to day basis as well. Everything he says is positive, and makes good sense, so I really enjoy working with Jeff.

Source: http://www.supercross.com/features/chad-reed-comes-to-america-2002-interview-by-rick-johnson

Tanel Leok Chad Reed Georges Jobe Peter Johansson

No comments:

Post a Comment